Władysława Markiewiczówna (* 1903 Bochnia – † 1982 Katowice) pianist and composer. She studied piano in Krakow with prof. Seweryn Eisenberger and compositions by Zdzisław Jachimecki. She also perfected her skills in Berlin with Hugo Leichentrit and Bruno Eisner.
After graduation, she performed in Poland and abroad. She had a huge repertoire. Together with Stefania Allinówna, she formed a piano duo. In 1929, she took a position as a piano lecturer at the State Conservatory of Music in Katowice. In the years 1948-1950, she was the dean of the Faculty of Instruments at this university. There she also educated pianists such as Andrzej Jasiński and Lidia Kozubek. In 1954, she was awarded the Knight’s Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta.
Her composing oeuvre, which was the result of nearly 50 years of work, includes piano works mostly devoted to didactics, such as the famous “School for piano” Do -re-mi-fa-sol “. In addition to piano works constituting most of her oeuvre, she also wrote piano songs, chamber music mostly for wind instruments, arrangements of folk melodies and illustrations for theatrical plays. Her composing language has evolved from traditional harmony towards innovative forms of expression. She also used the dodecaphony technique. Markiewiczówna’s last works were written in the neo-romantic spirit.
News about sheet music available at the link.